Monday, June 25, 2018

Remembering The Coffin Factory


Yes, you read that correctly! Only a few blocks from where I lived while growing up was a large, three-story building on Atlantic Avenue, at 124th Street, in which they made coffins. We actually had quite a lot of light manufacturing in our part of Queens, during the ‘50s and ‘60s, but the coffin factory was probably the most unusual. It’s main entrance was on 94th Avenue where a large side yard bordered the big brick building.
The things that I remember most about this place were the smells of various types of fresh wood that they would mill themselves to actually build the boxes; the aromas greeted you anytime you walked by and, in their yard, was a big dumpster where they threw their discards. My friends and I would always check the trash bin for scraps that we could use to make bird houses or feeders, or – if we were really ambitious – tables and chairs that we would use in our clubhouses (which sprang up in someone’s yard or a vacant lot, from time to time).

Recent photo found online from Google Maps.

I think it was sometime in the 1970s, after I had moved away, that the coffin factory closed its doors and the entire block (gas station/auto repair shop on one half and the old factory on the other) was bought by the South Shore Tire & Rubber Company, a Goodyear tire distributor. They bricked up all the windows in the old factory and – to this day –  continue to use the building as a warehouse to store tires which they can then deliver to numerous repair shops in the surrounding areas.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was happy to find this! I didn't live in Richmond Hill, but my Grandmother did - 95th Ave, between 123rd and 124th. I remember visiting and thinking the building was really scary (to a 5 year old). As I got older it was still kind of ominous. I remember asking my Grandmother what it was and she either didn't know or didn't want to scare me further by telling me coffins were built in it!

Ken B said...

Unknown: I wonder if I might have known your grandmother (could you share her name with me?) -Ken

Unknown said...

hi Ken
Her name was Anne Downes. Her husband was Peter but he died in 1943. My Grandmother lived in the same house (bought new) until her death in 1980. She had a son Peter (b1925) a daughter Marie (b1922) and daughter Rita (b1923). Rita was handicapped and lived in my Grandmothers house until her death in 1994.
My mother was Genevieve Cheyne, but had a different father (died). She lived there until she married my Dad in 1948. I also remember Ruprechts (sp) Deli. My cousin and I used to walk past there to the park. He was a whole 5 years old and was allowed to take me to the park! I was 2. Can you imagine that nowadays! When I was older I used to get sent to Ruprechts when we ran out of bread or whatever.

Kathy

Ken B said...

Thanks for all that, Kathy. Sorry, but I didn't know any of your family. I went to school with some kids who lived west of me (I lived on 95th, just east of 127th Street). I remember a Stein family on 95th, near 122nd Street (kids were Billy, Diane and Jennette, I believe). Some others whose names I can't bring to mind at the moment. Sure, I remember Ruprech's (?) deli, and Jones' candy story at 95th and 125th Street (store is still there, last time I was in the area, obviously changed owners). Yeah, no one would let 2 and 5-year old kids walk the neighborhood on their own these day... but those were different times. Have you seen any of my other posts from the old neighborhood? They fixed up the Smoky Park playground pretty well, last time I looked. You might remember some other things (they're interspersed with the car posts). Anyone else you remember from the area? -Ken

Unknown said...

Oh darn! I don't remember there being anyone around my Grandmothers house that was my age. It was pretty boring when we went to visit after my cousins moved. We moved to CA in 1964.

I did check out all your posts! What started me on this path was that I was looking for the name of the park to attach to my photos (Smokey Oval Park). I am copying them all to a hard drive. And of course I saw the park, which led me to the coffin building. I don't think I ever knew the name of the park.

I also used to go to the Sunrise Drive In. With my parents though. We lived in Lynbrook. I don't think we went much, but I do remember it. And my parents were married in St Benedict Joseph.

Ken B said...

Thanks for sharing the memories, Kathy.