Sunday, March 29, 2020

My First Three Rock Concerts


I’ve always thought that the first concerts I ever attended were for Joe Cocker and Leon Russell. I remember seeing them a short time apart at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, Long Island. Trying to determine which was first, I did a little research recently and found that Joe Cocker was at the Coliseum in May of 1972, and then again in early September. Leon was there from September 23rd to the 25th, so Cocker’s show would have definitely been the first.



Around that same time period, I went to Max’s Kansas City, in lower Manhattan, to see a folk-rock band called White Cloud. Max’s became legendary for the clientele that used to hang out there: people like William S, Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, and Andy Warhol (to name just a few). Anyway, I now see that White Cloud’s only gigs there were for a week in June of 1972. The band broke up in 1974.
To hear White Cloud’s debut (and only) album: https://youtu.be/tK80tKa2GpI


So, if I saw Cocker at the Coliseum during his May appearances, then his show was my first. If I saw him in September, then White Cloud was first. What does all this mean? Only that I’m trying to keep busy while the world is self-quarantining themselves during the current Coronavirus crisis.

No comments: