Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sunken Gardens Tourist Court


I noticed a few other people online looking for signs of the old Sunken Gardens, on highway 30, about 4 1/2 miles east of Gettysburg, PA. Since I had some old photos (and a post card) from my visits there in the 1950s and 1960s with my parents, I thought I'd post a few on my blog.

(As always, click on any photo to enlarge it.)

This post card was from our first visit there July 9-13, 1956.

Back in the 1950s, color film was pretty pricy
to buy and develop
so most people shot black and white photos.

Individual photo of a single, detached cabin.

My mom and me (on right) with two kids whose parents
ran the place; posed on a large rock in the
garden with a cabin in the background.

I remember there was a railroad that ran behind Sunken Gardens;
I used to go back there with some local kids and put pennies
on the tracks before a train came through to flatten them out.
If I can find them, I'll post a photo or two.

The line of cabins (singles and doubles)
with the great lawn in front.

A double (attached cabins) during our 1960 visit;
my father on left, uncle and aunt center and right.

My parents and uncle on "the rock."

My folks in the gardens (I believe the highway is on the left).

Overview of the gardens with highway on left.

I'm sure Sunken Gardens is no longer around
(at least not in the form I knew it).
If anyone knows what it looks like today
(or what's been built in its place), please let me know;
if anyone has current photos of the site, I'd be glad to post them here. 

No comments: